Click the link to my WEB ALBUM from last year's event
The Big Apple BBQ is happening again this year, THIS weekend - June 12-June 13 from 11:00 am to 6:00 pm. If you missed out last year, this will be your opportunity to go this year; however, as always, the crowds will be crazy and perhaps crazier than last year!
Place: Madison Square Park (23-25th street between 5th Ave and Madison)
Cost: $8 per plate, $4 desserts, $2-$6 drinks
Events: BBQ Feast; Free live-music, seminars and cooking demonstrations
Art: Don't forget to look up and see Antony Gormley's "naked men" (see blog post)
Looking at the list of pit masters this year, only two are not returning and four new pit masters are joining them (see the list below). My favorites from last year included ribs from Joe Duncan's Baker's Ribs (St. Louis-Style Ribs) and sausages from Drew Robinson's Jim 'N Nick's Bar-B-Q. There will be a few New York BBQ establishments there as well, including Dinosaur Bar-B-Que, Blue Smoke, Wildwood and Hill Country.
Every year, I'm surprised to see the New York BBQ restaurants there, but I suppose this is still great advertising for them; however, you won't see this New Yorker there -- why? -- well, why go there, when I have access to them year-round while living here?! You have to try the other booths ... :D and, if you do want to try everything, its all about strategy at these events... to get a good variety of bbq tastings, you have to get a group of friends and have them get something at every booth... then after everyone gets something from the booths, reconvene and feast!
So, get your bar-be-que on this weekend!
p.s. It gets super super crowded during lunch time -- 12 - 2 pm... so be cautious...
p.p.s. bring cash!
The List of Pit masters:
the non-returning pit masters:
- Ed Wilson - Wilson's Barbecue from CT with Texas Style Brisket & Coleslaw
- Michael Rodriguez - The Salt Lick BBQ from TX with Beef Brisket, Sausage & Coleslaw
and the newbies, taking their place:
- Tommy Houston - Checkered Pig from VA with St. Louis Style Ribs
- Myron Mixon - Jack's Old South from GA with Beef Brisket & Baked Beans
- Ken Bosley - Moonlite Bar-B-Q Inn from KY with BBQ Mutton & Burgoo (mutton?!?!)
- Big Lou Elrose - Wildwood BBQ with Pork Strip Steak Sandwich w/ Bourbon BBQ Sauce